Saturday, January 22, 2011

Baba Sanfour


My husband's nickname for this blog came about quite surprisingly. Since he is from Morocco and our cultures are so different, we are always excited to find commonalities from childhood that we can relate to. While my husband didn't grow up on as many Disney movies as I did, we did watch some of the same television shows, like Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry. One night, after reminiscing with an American friend about the old show, David the Gnome, I decided to ask my husband if had ever seen it. Well, that didn't work out so well as I found myself trying to describe what a gnome is, which is actually quiet difficult.

After stumbling over my explanation of gnome, my husband explaimed, "Baba Sanfour?!?"

"I don't now. Is that what it's called?" I asked.

"Yes, yes," he said with twinkling eyes as he reminisced about his childhood.

The next day I decided to further investigate Baba Sanfour with a quick google search. I pulled up a picture and leaned over to my husband and asked if the little blue cartoon was indeed the Baba Sanfour that he was talking about.

"Baba Sanfour!" he pointed to the computer screen and smiled.

"Oh," I said, "That's not David the gnome. That's Papa Smurf."

"Papa Smurf?" he asked, "You mean you guys stole Baba Sanfour from us?"

"No!" I winced defensively, "I think Morocco stole it from us!"

Well, it turns out the original idea for Papa Smurf, or Baba Sanfour, came from a comic from Belgium. But despite his origins, Baba Sanfour has definitely given us both something to smile about as we relate our childhood lives to each other. And we can't wait to see the new Smurf movie coming out later this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment