Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oprah Speaks Spanish


For about the first year and a half of our marriage Baba Sanfour and I went without television. Our apartment complex doesn't offer basic services and we couldn't afford cable or satellite, so we lived disconnected from televised news, sitcoms and most devastatingly, "The Oprah Winfrey Show." We still can't bring ourselves to add the expense of cable, but on New Years Eve Baba Sanfour set up a beautiful little antenna that's mounted on our patio and runs a wire into our apartment, offering about about 40 or so channels. Although half of those channels are either religious and Spanish language, the one that I was most excited about was ABC. As he was setting up the antenna I quickly ran through my schedule for the week and determined that I would be able to watch "Oprah" four out of five days of the next week.

Monday came and I waited anxiously until 4:00 when I ran to the TV and flipped through the channels until I reached the magic number, channel 9. As it sunk in my eyes glossed over with amazed disappointment and confusion. Oprah was talking about O.J. Simpson in Spanish. While I was frustrated that I couldn't hear the Oprah that I know and love, I was quite surprised that the interpreter's voice had an uncanny resemblance to Oprah's poignant, booming sound. I finally determined that the strange phenomenon must be related to the birds that have been falling out of the sky. That is, until I discovered the SAP button on the remote.

No comments:

Post a Comment