Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Seeing Ourselves

Yesterday was my first day back at school after the winter break. I balance between school and a retail job, which definitely makes things interesting, especially since we cater mostly to tourists. I wasn't really looking forward to working all that much last night, but I'm so glad that I did. I've had the opportunity to interact with so many different families from around the world and I've just about seen it all. From the kind, considerate and familiar to the rude, disgusting and even scary. But last night left me loving my job as a nine year old girl from Mexico and her father walked into our store, distraught by the lack of options for clothes for her to wear. She was nine, but she was wearing a size 14 in kids clothing, which is generally reserved for older girls (although I think it's quite normal for children to be wearing larger sizes this day and age). They walked around the store for a few minutes, selecting clothes, when she finally walked up to me and bravely asked for a fitting room. I was amazed by her humble confidence. She had been learning English from her dad and was doing a great job! I'm often intimidated to use the Spanish that I've learned in school for fear embarrassment, but this little girl pushed through those fears and stole my heart at the same time.

While she was trying on outfits, her father pulled me aside to tell me what a hard time she's been having because of her size. She was tall and healthy and yet felt so different from the other kids at school because she couldn't fit into the same size clothes as everyone else and had a slightly fuller middle. My heart sank as he explained this to me as I went through the exact same anxiety as a child. I was taller than the other kids, but also much more chubby. I was trying to find clothes in my mom's closet in elementary school because kids clothes didn't fit me anymore. I've since gotten over these issues, but still carry the weight (no pun intended) of that insecurity into adulthood. I saw her come out with a look of pure joy when one top fit and then a look of devastating disappointment when the pants didn't. I saw so much of myself in that bright little girl, who so sweetly spoke to me in a language she was still struggling to master. I quickly reevaluated and found some different options that would be more comfortable for her to wear and her reaction made me so happy to be there to serve her. The smile on her face as she looked at herself in the mirror and then at her father was contagious and I couldn't help but feel triumphant with her.

For the few minutes that this family was in my life, I was able to learn so much. As people I think we often downplay our role in society. I've found myself so many times saying that I can't wait until I graduate and find a better job where I can really contribute to people in a meaningful way. But last night taught me how everyone, despite how insignificant our positions may seem, can make an impact on others, simply by relating our human experiences. For a few moments I was able to look back and see myself in that little girl. What a joy it is to discover the lessons that the world has to offer, and an even greater joy to share them with children

No comments:

Post a Comment