Monday, January 31, 2011

Meatloaf

When Baba Sanfour and I first got married, I really didn't know how to cook. I went from living at home with my mom, to a college dorm, to being married. I could bake cookies, cakes and pies all day long, but that didn't help us out very much when it came time for dinner. Luckily, Baba Sanfour knew how to cook, as he'd been living on his own for a few years before we got married. He's actually pretty talented when it comes to cooking and has taught me a thing or two about it. I've seen my mom look into an empty cabinet and fridge and somehow produce a delicious dinner. I was shocked when I learned that Baba Sanfour could do the same thing. I couldn't let everyone in my life out stage me in the kitchen, so I finally decided that I'd have to set aside my brownie pan and figure out how to cook dinner.

I've tried tons recipes that I've found online and learned how to make several different American dishes and even a few Moroccan specialities. Baba Sanfour is generally pretty open about trying new foods, but he definitely enjoys the more exotic flavors of moroccan cuisine. So I was shocked when he absolutely adored the meatloaf that I made a few weeks ago. It doesn't get more American than meatloaf, so I was even more surprised when Baba Sanfour took a package of ground beef out of the freezer friday night and asked, "can you cook the thing you made last time?"

"Which one?" I asked.

"You know, that yummy thing you made."

"With ground beef?" I scratched my head, "What was it?"

"The thing with the cheese," he urged.

"Meatloaf?" I asked.

"That's it!"

I shrugged and told him that I'd be happy to, still a bit puzzled by his enthusiasm for the classic American dish. He never fails to surprised me. But that's just one more thing I love about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment